Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Vacationing Part 2

Goodness gracious, does anyone else feel like May swooped in and is dragging you not only under water (when will the rain stop?), but pulling you in fifteen million directions as you try to keep things structured and in place???

Maybe it's the fact that I just came off a week of munching gumballs and twirling in dresses in 70 degree weather...but whatever it is, I won't bore you with the specific details of my upcoming life events which happen to include a few field trips, multiple photo shoots and a wedding...I just feel a bit overwhelmed as I try to regain some semblence of order in my house and keep things moving as we are in the homestretch for the last day of school for the summer...

I say this as 7 loads of laundry sit folded on my couch and the lasagna that I had to put together this morning is in the oven (that's me trying to be pro-active)

I"m always in a tug of war of what I "want" to do versus what I "need" to do versus what I "should" do as well...

Needless to say, I'm a bit frazzled at the moment and in my denial of all things "to do list", I wish to reminisce about last week...and so I continue my vacationing post as we went to Jamestown and Mount Vernon...

Jamestown is field trip central...let me tell you...( if you go in the spring)

Although it is a fun place to visit and we all enjoyed getting on the Susan Constant and playing in the wigwam things that had another name but I can't recall it right now...however, there were many people there and to be honest, we just realized that we probably wouldn't have felt all that great living in those first forts and colonies...we definitely came away thankful for our microwaves and ipod touches:) 




We spent about 4 hours there and headed back to Colonial Williamsburg for the remainder of the day...we watched the fife and drum presentation and the cannons going off:) 

When we left the Williamsburg area, we traveled up to Alexandria in order to visit Mt. Vernon...and I must confess that it was probably the most beautiful and most enjoyable part of the trip for me.  Granted, we hit our first batch of rain while there, but I couldn't help but just take in the enormous amount of trees and land that we were allowed to walk through...


I loved going through Pres. Washington's home, learning about his family and what he cherished...the education center and museum is just wonderful and I could have stayed in there for HOURS (which we couldn't because Little Munch and a couple other girls whom I will let you guess, were a little "done" with reading and more into, "let's go into the gift shop and play with the toys") 

I am amazed by the mentalities of the people back then...I loved seeing the old script and just trying to guess the personalities of Martha and others on the plantation...

We were able to tour the home and the plantation work houses...I must say, that of all the places, I'd go back to Mt. Vernon first! They even had an adventure map for the girls to go through as we toured...as they got their clues, they finished the puzzle and received a free gift at the end...very thoughtful! 


I'm thankful we took a day to just do Mt. Vernon...I probably could have spent even more time there, but it just inspires me to come back:) 

My laundry is now calling to me...as are all 3 of my children who are clammering over the CD player to listen to Felicity on tape again...Lord, help me!  And so I will depart for now and return with thrilling news of our trips to DC...and by thrilling I mean walking over 6 miles, 3/4 of which Little Munchkin rode on someone's shoulders or was carried in arms...and listening to comments such as, "are we there yet?" and "I think my feet are going to fall off" that were just MUSIC to our ears! 

See you soon...