Remember the pile of leaves?
Little Munchkin not only enjoys leaves, but she has a fascination for anything in her hair...barrettes being one of those such things.
She had them on in these pictures b/c we had just purchased them that morning...
She needed something to keep it out of her eyes so that she could run full blast down any aisle of any store as fast as her legs could carry her...
And so, I didn't really think much of it while playing in the leaves...she could see, she could jump...I figured they were doing their job and all was right with our world...
What I failed to recognize is that when pieces of sticks and leaf stems get caught in your hair, you often have the uncontrollable desire to just start pulling and yanking things out...including barrettes.
Now...she LOVES those things, so even though she had yanked them out of her hair single-handedly, she wasn't about to surrender them over to Mama...nope! "I hold 'em Mama...I got 'em"
Alrighty then...and so I diligently continued the raking...and she continued the jumping...
UNTIL...
her sad little cry..."Oh no Mama...I dwopped them...in the leaves!"
And there sank our dear hot pink barrettes...
Daddy, sisters, Mommy raked and looked for 2 days in the grass, and soaked leaves after the rain...to no avail...
Today, she awoke from her nap (knowing we were going to try getting some family photos done) and asked if I could please find her barrettes...
What's a mom to do after spoiling her child with hot cocoa from Starbucks and a chick fil a milkshake in one day? What's a mom to do for a little girl who awakens and her only care is her hot pink barrette?
Well...I headed outside for the umpteenth time to try to locate the things in the trampled bazillion leaf pieces in our back yard...and in doing so I prayed...
"Lord, you know that I have a hard time with prayer...I don't ask for a lot of things b/c I don't like being disappointed...normally, I'd just ask for wisdom in how to parent this little 3 year old who is waiting inside for me who is really sad about her barrettes...and I'm not thinking that you're some magic genie who's going to give me anything I wish for...but, we've been looking for these things for 2 days and even if I could just locate ONE of them, I'd surely be thankful..."
Not more than 5 seconds later, I looked down and there was one barrette.
I was floored...
Now, call it what you will...maybe you think it's just a coincidence...maybe I raked harder and looked with a set of eagle eyes this time around...but, I have a feeling that He was just giggling up there..."Watch this everyone...I want to surprise her...she's going to love this!!"
Well...I didn't stop there...although I told Him I was perfectly content with just one, but I said, "I've heard that if you don't ask Big, you're not gonna receive big...and this is about as "big" as I'm capable of asking at this point...I'll keep looking for just a tad longer, and if you have that other one show up...well, I can guarantee I'm going to have a blog post at the least!"
And there appeared the 2nd one...
Maybe He's teaching me something...He knows how to best teach me...and it does take me awhile to learn...and I'm a tad cautious along the way...
And then again, maybe He just wanted to see me smile!
Either way...I had a tiny blessing today...and it was sweet!

