Friday, August 15, 2008

Lost Tooth, Two Wheels...what a summer!

I'm sure that this won't be the LAST "summer" related post, but it is that time of the year...the ending of summer...the beginning of school...the ending to the hot days...the beginning of the cool nights...the ending of sprinklers and outside pools...the beginning of campfires and smores...

Our summer has definitely been one of major family happenings. I need to preface this "blog" saying that if you have young children who have active imaginations, I wouldn't advise allowing them to read this particular entry...why? you ask...because I will be addressing some infamous people: i.e. The ToothFairy and Santa Claus...I will just leave it at that...

And so...I begin with my eldest. After a YEAR of a wiggly tooth (at least that's what she tells me) it has finally made it's exit. The permanent tooth is already there, it actually popped up behind the baby one quite awhile go...it was a tad "gross"...just to be honest...but, as a mom, I sucked it up, closed my eyes and pulled that sucker out 2 days ago and it's been "somewhat" blissful ever since...which leads me to my first topic of discussion: The Tooth Fairy...

I need to be honest...Italian Stallion and I haven't necessarily denied the belief of Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc...however, we haven't exactly encouraged it...be it our over zealous and paranoid nature of wanting to be sure that our kids understand the TRUE meaning of Christmas and Easter...we kinda skipped over good ole St. Nick and Mr. Bunny...so there you have it...now, what to do about the tooth fairy??? What to do???

Yeah well...I hear the going rate for a first tooth is $5...so that's what my eldest found in her pillow the other night..."Mom, did you put the money there?" she innocently asked that morning. How do I reply to that without lying...YES...CHANGE THE SUBJECT..."Do you want waffles honey?"

When it was all said and done...I didn't lie, she got her coins, I have her tooth, she still play pretend fairies and I'm getting really good at changing subjects... Which is a perfect lead into topic #2: Two Wheels...My 6 1/2 year old learned to ride a two wheeler earlier this summer...about the middle of June...it took about 2 weeks. It was grueling...lots of cheering, encouragement, falls, and bandaids. My "just turned 4" year old came to me yesterday, "mommy, I want to learn to ride a two wheeler like Sissy"...

My first reaction was to...could it be...yes, CHANGE THE SUBJECT...but, she wouldn't be derailed..."Mommy, I REALLY want to do it." I took of the training wheels and practiced for about a 1/2 hour. My parents came into town unexpectedly and "took over" the two wheel practice. Long story short...as I was out running errands I got periodical updates:
1) She can ride down the slope of the grass 11:45 a.m.
2) She can ride the length of the driveway and turn around 12:05
3) Ummm, she just took off down the road to the cauldisac (sp?) and is on her way back 12:15

So...needless to say, it's been an eventful summer...now all we need is little Baby to start walking...YIKES!!!