Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The End of Charlotte


Normally, she's my rough and tumble kid...things kinda roll off her back...she brushes herself off..."I'm okay Mom" and she's off and running again. She's quick to see when other's need that "push" to get back in the game...she's been there...


So it sometimes catches me off guard when something drives home to her heart so intensely...and yet, for a little one, that "something" could be anything...


Tonight, it was a spider.


We have lots of spiders around here...I don't like to kill them because they catch the flies and gnats and they don't really bother me all that much. The girls on the other hand, do NOT like them. And my middle child LOVES to be the hero...to squash the invader and save her sisters from infinite peril...(you know, from those killer ants and monstrous fruit flies...)


We're headed out for our nightly bike ride and low and behold...a spider, on the driveway...she rushes to it, bends down to inspect...yes indeed, it IS a spider...fairly large, will definitely fit under her flip flop and WHAM down it comes...as mommy is yelling in the background, "wait, don't kill it..."


too late...yes, too late for that poor spider...what she didn't realize until after, was that it was a mommy spider with over 20 teeny tiny baby spiders riding on it's back...as her foot was just hitting, that mommy spider shook off the babies and they went scattering everywhere...


"I killed the Mommy...they will never have another Mommy..." and the tears came in buckets...

It broke my heart...she informed me before bed that she will NOT be killing another spider ever again...and she wanted to be sure that Jesus wasn't going to forget to watch out for those baby spiders...

That's my simple story for today...We are without TV, nor DVD player ( I think I just broke it), I've read all my books from the library and my husband is in California...it's a lonely night!