I just got back from seeing the movie Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
I'm not ashamed to tell you that I literally cried like a baby at the end of the film...I know those around may have thought me silly...I mean, after all, it's JUST a movie...JUST a tale...
right?
The thing is, if you know the analogy...if you know how the author meant to portray the characters...it's MUCH more than just a tale...
There is so much that I could write, that I could pour my heart out concerning the promises, the lessons, the TRUTH of this series...but, I fear that I just wouldn't do it justice.
For those that haven't read C.S. Lewis's series of Narnia, I encourage you to do so...read them to your children and grandchildren...and then, once the truth reveals itself in the pages, explain it to them...
There were two themes that stuck out for me in this movie...now granted, they didn't follow the books' story line completely...and yes there were some allowances made...but, for these two, I am so grateful...
One, is that of Lucy...being a mom of daughters...being one who struggled with confidence and feeling beautiful...I connected with the battle within Lucy...the battle of comparison, of not seeing yourself for the value that you possess...but that value that comes from being knit together by a Being who loves you more than life itself...the value that comes from having a purpose greater than that of outward appearances, at yet effects that appearance in ways that are only seen by the heart...
It was empowering to see her realize that without WHO she was, and without her fulfilling her purpose...it changed everything...not just her, but everyone around her...
The second thing and the one that started the flood of tears...was of course at the end...Voyage of the Dawn Treader is the 3rd book in the series as they are chronologically written...not exactly as they are chronologically told/lived. However, it is the book in which Edmund and Lucy cease coming back to Narnia, as their siblings have already.
She recognizes this, but so desperately is connected to Aslan that she begs an answer from him, "Will you be in my world?" and He replies, "I am known by another name in your world...here you know me well, there you must know me better"
What a perfect TRUTH...if you haven't figured out the analogy...Aslan is known as Jesus in our world:)
Yes, Narnia is a tale...yes, it was just a movie...Lucy doesn't really exist...
But, the TRUTH of it all does...and for that, I owe my life.
And to those that think I'm completely going overboard and sound quite silly in dedicating an entire blog post to a description of a movie...well, you just have to excuse me for that...words, pictures, stories...they all have a way of getting into me...it's how I'm wired...it's sometimes how God choses to teach me...and though He may not teach YOU the same way, He gets through somehow...so, I appreciate your understanding:)

