Saturday, December 18, 2010

Dear Ma'am

I know that I shouldn't have been out shopping today...Today of all days...

I was trying to finish up the last minute gifts, without having to drag the "chillins" out into the cold.  I had an idea that it would be bad, but I guess I have been sheltered, for I did not expect to see what I saw.

There were absolutely NO parking spots available at the mall...NONE...zippo...nada...

And so, there we all were...all of us that needed to park...we just wandered around...driving up and down the aisles hoping and praying that someone would finish their shopping early and start up their car to leave.  After a half hour of white knuckling as I entered each lane hoping that the angry drivers wouldn't hit me in their impatience and grumpiness...low and behold a spot became available...right in front of me...

One car happened to turn into the aisle, but saw that my blinker was on and gave me a sweet wave...she had a mini-van too...she was tired, I could tell...but she was kind.  We waited for the truck to pull out of his spot and I maneuvered my car so that I could get it into the spot without having to cause the other lady much wait time while I tried to fit into the area. 

As the truck backed up, I motioned that he had enough room to get out completely and that I wasn't going to hurry him...

What happened next is what I can only explain as a scene from the movie Cars and Mater was driving! Mater, however, was disguised as a disgruntled lady in a tiny red car.

The lady was at the end of the aisle and must have looked in her rear-view mirror to see that a spot was opening up...with no thought to my blinker, the other car in the oncoming lane or to anyone else that happened to be around...she pressed the pedal to the medal IN REVERSE and came screeching in front of my car, cutting off the other mini-van, as well as myself and slipped into the spot just as the truck switched from reverse to drive. 

I sat there in shock...as did the lady in the mini-van facing me...we both sort of shrugged, laughed and were just dumbfounded actually. 

I didn't sound my horn...I didn't scream or yell...I didn't even roll down my window as the lady got out of her car and stalked off down the aisle towards the entrance to the mall with her chin in the air.  However, I did get to thinking...and I thought the whole time I was inside shopping (I did finally find a spot about 10 minutes later)

You see, I had carried a notebook with me and though everything in me really wanted to go bash out her lights and let all the air out of her tires...I tried to think of her story and what must make some people think to be that incredibly rude and insensitive.

And so, I left the following note on her windshield...I'm sure there is more that I could have said and really WANTED to say..but I kept it short and sweet...I'll never know what she thought or if she even cared...but, that's okay...

Dear Ma'am,

I observed how you obtained your parking spot earlier today.  Because of this, I thought perhaps you were in need of some encouragement.  I know with the waiting in lines, the hustle and bustle during this season, we can often forget that everyone has a story...or even remember what we are celebrating in the first place.

I hope that you were able to accomplish all that you set forth to complete today. 
Have a Merry Christmas.

Love, a fellow traveler on life's journey

I know it's hard to wait and I'll be the first to admit that I lack in the mercy department as well as the patience!  But, during this season, especially when others are hurting, the least we can do is try to offer a sincere smile and keep things in perspective.  Yes, I had been out for hours b/c of the lines and wait time...and yes that took me away from my husband and my girls...and I COULD get REALLY upset about it and just blame everyone else for making things take so much time...and I suppose that could be justified...but, it's not really worth the heartache or the stress...

and besides...it makes for a great blog post!!!

Have a great weekend!