Saturday, January 17, 2009

My Sewing Adventure

I’m one of those people who likes to Improvise! It’s a challenge for me to figure out how to make something or fix something when I don’t have all the right pieces. That could be part of the reason why I’m a pack rat as well…countless times I’ve plodded down to my basement to pick through my “junk” to see what I could use, in order to “Improvise” and fix my problem.

I’ve gotten so much to be that improvising person that I almost feel at a loss when I actually have all the tools at my fingertips. In fact, you might even say that at that point I get panicky…you see, when you don’t have all the right “parts” there is no pressure for it to come out perfect…it just has to work, not look beautiful or anything…just do the job.

Now, there are times that I’m perfectionistic, don’t get me wrong. When it comes to painting furniture or walls, or when I’m making something for someone else…then I get really particular about the little things. But, for everyday life, I just want to be efficient (some could confuse that with lazy or just wanting to rush to get it done…and you could argue that point with me…but, for now…let’s just call it efficiency)

Which brings me to my bright idea to make hats and scarves for my girls. You would think with my mother being an incredible seamstress…the one who CREATED my wedding dress without a pattern…that perhaps I’d inherited her talent…not so! No, my idea is that “sewing” is much more easily done with a stapler. But, I do try on occasion to “stretch” myself…so, I picked up a 99cent pattern and some 40% off fleece and came home to “sew”…

Another thing you need to know about me: I don’t like reading directions and then being expected to follow them exactly. I’d rather someone just show me and I’ll copy them. Putting all these “qualities” together: an improvising nature, not liking directions, rather work with a stapler, will choose efficiency over perfection, and did I mention that I’m rather impatient? Well…it doesn’t make a good mix for the whole, “Let’s make some cute hats and scarves for the girls!”

By midnight last night after ripping apart the “headbands” at least twice, I was about ready to give up…I called both my mother in law AND my mother for help and encouragement…for heavens sake, all we’re talkin’ here is a mere hat and scarf…how hard can it be…I so wanted to just pick up some heavy duty duct tape and slap it together fast…but I persevered!

Well…to end this pathetic story…here are photos of the finished products. I’ll have to get the girls to model them at another time, but I’m just so glad that I’m finished. I did end up cutting up 2 fleece blankets that I had.., yep, you guessed it, IN THE BASEMENT!!! In order to have some contrast colors…had that “bright idea” right in the middle of the project…just so happened that the blankets contrasted well with their coats!!!
Thanks Mom for at least introducing me to the sewing machine and keeping staplers at a safe distance for some of the time…thanks Mom T for explaining over the phone umpteen times what the directions were really saying…and to those of you that are seamstresses, yes, I know I look the fool and I do so admire your abilities…keep it up!!!