Friday, January 23, 2009

Hangin' out at home

This week has been a rough "parenting" week...it's been speckled with a lack of confidence on my part, frustration and impatience. (I'm being brutally honest here:)
Having 3 children at 3 completely different 'seasons' of life sometimes makes me feel completely stretched to the limit...now, I know that those that have more than 3 kids or have multiples, obviously have it harder...but for now, I'm humoring myself and just saying that we are each given what we can handle...and my "handling" hasn't gone that well this week...at least in my opinion.
My eldest is starting to think for herself...she needs more guidance and room to make mistakes...this is extremely hard for me. I'm perfectionistic at times and it kills me to watch her make silly mistakes. There are times that I have crushed her spirit with my impatience. She has the most compassionate heart and is a true people pleaser...I struggle with how to guide and yet lead her to be indepedent.
My second born is a "free spirit"...she doesn't stress over the little things...good in some instances but a complete frustration in others...she'll be a "mary" when she grows up instead of a "martha", but noone will want to come over because there won't be room for the "stuff" all over the place that she hasn't cleaned. She bounces back easily and therefore it's a bit easier for me to parent because she doesn't get as "hurt" by my shortcomings. On the other hand, because of that I let it go too much...there's so much more i COULD be doing for her...
And then, my baby...she is my stubborn, strong-willed little thing. I am at a loss with her...my energy level is SHOT by the end of the day. There are times I just call Anthony in the middle of that day and just ask him, "What in the world do I do with her?" She doesn't take as much "intellectual" energy as she does "physical" and "emotional".
Anyway, it's been a rough week...I'm just bein' honest...not trying to be a "downer" or anything...I don't have this parenting thing figured out in the least.
I'm hoping for a refreshing weekend and a renewed vision...I think I need to go a "date" with my eldest, play in the snow with my middle and sit and do puzzles, eat suckers, and dance with my baby and perhaps things wil get a little better:)