Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Preparing...Decorating...Sending...Hurrying:)

This season always brings with it a mix of pure thankfulness, joy and anticipation...coupled with anxiety, travel, and eating:)

(I had to put the eating in there because I can't seem to keep my hands off the goodies this time of year! UGH)

Anyway, things have definitely slowed down from the whole Photography aspect, but just when that was being put on the back burner, December got here:) 

I love the traditions that my family has created...I mentioned one of them in the previous post...just the whole "choppin' down the tree" thing.  It's fun and it brings a sense of security and familiarity to the season. 

I am glad for all that we do...the focus on Advent...the stories of the ornaments...seeing the Nutcracker...the live nativity...concerts and performances...traveling to see family...church services...fellowship and parties...

It's a festive and fun time of year...but, it comes with it's share of time consuming activities and, if I care to admit it, just plain "draining" situations...

However, before I find myself going into a rendition of "woe is me"...I want to be sure that I keep my perspective right...YES: it's a fact that we're going to have to pack up the kiddos and travel more this month...YES: it's a fact that my heart is going to be heavy with all the hurt that is out there this time of year & what seemingly little I can do to help...YES: it's a fact that it takes planning and purposed determination to parent and model what this season is all about during the entire month of Advent...YES: it's a fact that I'll be up late and up early (well, at least early in MY definition of early...but I won't get into that because Italian Stallion will definitely have something to say about it seeing as he gets up before 6am daily...but I am the one currently at the keyboard, so MY words get to grace the screen...and by golly, I wake up EARLY for ME!)

However, it's also a fact that I have a choice of how I'm going to "see" Christmas this year...how Advent will "look through my eyes"...Often, I get anxious or just tired...and I'll admit, I get caught up in everything else...

But, it's the times that I choose to live in the moment that has been given and appreciate where we are right now...it's those times that I love this time of year all the more...

My girls having such a special heart for setting out the Nativity...

The together-time with their cousins and Nana when they will go to see the Nutcracker...

The ornaments that all have their story and the memories ...we sit and share about them as we hang them on the tree...

The Preparation for Advent...the performances...it all leads to one thing...

We're memorizing a verse in Ephesians this week as a family...You might be familiar with it? 
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength. And Love your neighbor as yourself"...

I need to keep remembering that it's all because of LOVE and a desire for a relationship that we have Christmas in the first place...

I'm not trying to make Christmas somber and boring...I'm all about the fun and the making of memories...but, I also don't want my heart to be so heavy with worry or just anything else that sometimes creeps in...I suppose it's different for everyone. 

Lord, may I keep my eyes straight and my heart focused...may I find genuine joy in what I have been given and model that to my girlies:) 

Happy Christmas...the countdown has begun!!!