Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pinterest...how I love thee:)

I know many people now that are addicted to this site...

not mine...rather...Pinterest...(good grief, I can't imagine anyone being "addicted" to MY site for heaven's sake...we're lucky if I get post up here once every 2 weeks or so...it would be a SAD addiction to say the least...but I'm getting off track...)

We celebrated the last school day of 2011 today...and with that comes school sing a longs...fun treats...goofy games and "teacher gifts"...

Seeing as I am often up WAYYY later than I should be, I tend to spend time looking for more ideas to keep me up even longer...it's a never-ending cycle...

A month or so, ago, I saw this idea and thought it would be fun...so I "Pinned" it and kept it in the forefront of my mind...so that when "today" came, I was ready to get started...

All you need is:
*a shadow box
*a piece of heavy paper (card stock, old Creative Memories scrapbook pages, etc)
*box of crayons (i got the box orf 48 just to be sure)
*glue (I used Elmer's stick glue)
*a sharp kitchen knife
*ribbon, if you want:)

Basically, I just traced the letter on my paper, lightly with pencil...Then I put glue down in about a quarter of the "O" and started laying crayons in there as I'd like to see them...I then drew, with pencil again, ON the crayon where I needed to cut off the excess.  I'd take once crayon off the glue at a time, cut off the ends, and then stick it back in place.  Just did that all the way around...

I put ribbon around the edges because the paper wouldn't fit to the edge and I wanted to cover it up. 

That's about it...it took about an hour (but that's because Peanut wanted to "HELP" me do it...and as you know, sometime the "helping" makes for a longer work time:)

But it turned out like this:

With Sweetpea's teacher, I figured with being a 4th grade teacher, she'd need something other than crayons...I thought about doing this same thing with pencils, but I'm thinking that a kitchen knife ain't gonna cut it (Pun Intended)

I've always loved Alphabet Photography, but have often been frustrated with my inability to "see letters in nature"..I try, but it just ain't happenin'...so, I tried to be creative...

After a couple cups of coffee, the idea hit me around midnight:)  I just started making letters out of school supplies...then I'd take pictures of them and spelled out Sweetpea's teacher's name...I used her little Mary Janes for the first letter just so she felt like it made it bit more personal...

I'm telling you...it's AMAZING what you can put together in photoshop:)
Here's what it looks like in the frame:

I stole lots of ideas from Pinterest for this last day of parties:)

So...all this to say...if you haven't discovered Pinterest yet...you might want to check it out...