After reading THIS awhile back, I got to thinking...
I realize how much this "culture" of ours stimulates BUSY...I'm barely out of bed before I'm bombarded with a To-Do list a mile long...and then, for me at least, I am hit with the Mommy guilties of "how are you going to be the BEST mom today?"...inevitably, it is then compounded by parenting that must take place which has the potential to send my ever-fading good attitude down the drain...
My brain never seems to shut off and I sometimes feel as though it is hit with 15 topics all at once.
I went out with my "peep" last night. It was the first time that we had a conversation that lasted longer than 30 seconds over the phone. In fact, we talked for 4 hours straight...sometimes, both of us talking AT THE SAME TIME with two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TOPICS...
but hey, we're moms and we can multi-task!
And yet, I miss the stillness and the FOCUS...it's no wonder why so many people struggle with ADD nowadays...who wouldn't?
All this to say that I struggle with 'quiet'...but it is in the quiet that I have the most peace, the most rest...It's the time that I get to 'hear' what my Heavenly Father is trying to tell me and NOT listen to all the mixed messages and just plain lies that are being launched at me continuously: "you need to lose weight", "you aren't a consistent parent", "your house is messy", "you need more clothes", "you aren't as good as _____", "if you'd spend more time doing this then _____", etc etc...
And yet (again) I don't spend a ton of time in the 'quiet'...oh no...I push forward in my day...rushing here and there and trying to "accomplish the world" it feels like...
I know that to combat it, I need to slow down...I need to take the hurry out...
but did you catch the line above where I say I STRUGGLE with it...yes...so therein lies the problem!
We are trying one way though to aid in my ever-long laundry list of to dos and not good enoughs...
Our pastors have been talking about meditating on God's Word here of late...and I'll be the first to admit that memorization is not necessarily my forte...HOWEVER, I'm willing to try b/c I know that since my brain is apparantly able to handle a gazillion things at once...what if I shoved some Bible in there for it to munch on for awhile? Would it change my attitude, my perspective???
With some inspiration from a past roommate whose family (who conveniently has children right around my girls' ages) is memorizing Psalm 19...We have begun this journey...
We chose a version that seemed most "doable" by my young ones and we are currently on verse 4...I will admit that they are much better than me at this memorizing thing...
But, I will say that I mull the verses over in my head periodically throughout the day...it forces my brain to meditate on something more important that folding clothes and the tire of fat that circles my middle...
I'll let you know how it goes...