Tuesday, August 21, 2012

School is starting...

The first day of the 2012-2013 school year starts tomorrow.

Oddly enough, I'm not crying or moping around...I think I'm in a more pensive mood...or perhaps I've just been so wrapped up in fifteen million vacation memories (and pictures) and trying to make sure Pip doesn't poop on the floor, that I just haven't really let it sink in.

Sweetpea is entering 5th grade. 

I remember being in 5th grade...sweater vests were all the rage...along with monogrammed v-neck sweaters, feathered hair and scottie dogs...at least they were in my little po-dunk town:)

I remember reading Anne of Green Gables and writing in my diary...I played softball at church and played Barbies at recess with the girls...

Times have changed.

I've found myself having conversations with my eldest daughter that I don't remember having until I was at least in middle school...things are "coming down"...

Peanut is heading to 3rd grade...I think she's the one that has grown the most (not in size mind you...she inherited both of our mothers' genes and we'll be lucky if she hits 5 feet tall as an adult) but, she's becoming more and more aware of the world around her.  And for my deep thinking/feeling (yet not so verbal) girl, this has been a heavy load for her to figure out how to manage:)

Little Munchkin has a summer birthday and is 5 years old.  I STRUGGLED with this decision...still am struggling for that matter...but, Italian Stallion is pretty adamant about keeping her home another year...I'm 50/50 with this decision...As a Kindergartener, she's completely and utterly ready...with a mother as a teacher and two older sisters...good grief, she was academically ready at age 3 to go to school for heaven's sake.  Yet, watching our "almost" middle schooler tackle the fast pace of this world...he didn't want to make this a kindergarten decision...Really, it's probably not the best decision for a kindergartener...she'll be leaps and bounds ahead of others when she does go into school and we may even deal with some boredom...however, I.S. keeps reminding me that she'll be an entire year older when I send her on the bus to middle school, and high school and even college when she has to make the decisions that will affect the rest of her life...It has nothing to do with sports or trying to make her the head of her class...and I honestly think "work ethic" is something you gain not because of your circumstances, but because of the values being instilled in you at home...

I was the youngest in my class...graduated and then started college at age 17...I can't say that it was a bad thing...in my small town, I didn't even really notice I suppose...so, to be honest, we're just praying that we made the right call for her:)

we're making the most of it nonetheless...she and I have LOTS planned this year...lots of life experiences and FUN to explore:)

I'll let you know how it turns out...ya know, in about 12 years or so...

Sweetpea gets a locker for the first time this year...I made "instagram magnets" for her locker:)  She has her own little wipe off board and that crazy chandelier that I bought in a moment of weakness:) 

I'm glad she has something new to start the school year because we didn't get any new clothes or shoes or backpacks or lunchboxes...nothing...nada...

that's all for now...I have lots of editing and planning for soccer games and taking Pippa out to pee...OFTEN...I'm sure our days will continue to be full:)

Happy first day of school!