Thursday, November 18, 2010

I hate shoe shopping and praise for single-moms

I've been to 3 Payless shoe stores, Sears, 2 Targets, and 3 Kohls attempting to locate shoes for my eldest daughter so that she can "put to rest" the hot pink croc from the summer that she's been wearing daily to school.

To NO avail...

Too big, too tight, a picky spot, they slip off, I can't run in them...the list of excuses is long and we are still without shoes...I'm sure I'll be getting a call one wintry day with tears b/c snow has squished through the croc holes.  What must the school staff think of me?

All this has been happening amidst my husband's travel schedule---which in my humble opinion---has been grueling!

And this my praise for single moms...

At 11, 1, 2:15, 3:30, 4, 5:30 and 6:40 IN THE MORNING

As I scurried down the hallway to attend to my screaming 3 year old due to:
~" I Neeeeeeeeeeeeeed my daddy"
~"My bummy itches"
~"My toe hurts..put some cweam on it"
~"I"m not sleepy anymore"
~"I close my eyes and it is scary"

As my sweet Peanut sobbed down the hallway at 2am complaining that her ankle was in "terrible pain"...

As my brain was trying to compute all that was occuring in the wee hours of the morning trying to process and make a plan:  Do I schedule an x-ray?  Do I scrap my plan to continue to shoe shop the following day? Can I just sit on my bed and eat chocolate until my Italian Stallion comes home?

I became painfully aware of just a sliver of what single-moms must deal with on a daily basis...

At a parent/teacher conference recently my husband was stopped mid-sentence as he politely & apologetically explained that he has been traveling much as of late...

The teacher explained that she was accutely aware of when he left and when he returned based on Peanut's demeanor.  Apparantly she is rather subdued & sad in class when her daddy is away...

This "season" has been rough...I don't htink I realized the impact it has had until we're now nearly at the end...

The holiday times will actually be a respit from the hectic schedule.  I think we've all been in survival mode & using any defense mechanism in order to push forward...

I know in my heart that compared to others, my troubles seem miniscule & in light of God's bigger purpose & plan, this IS just a season...

I suppose I'm more frustrated with my responses and reactions...

How much more I am aware now of my NEED for Christ and to have the peace in the storm and to guide my girls to that peace as well...

although, I can't help but wonder if just ONE pair of shoes wouldn't just help the situation a weeee bit...hmmmm???