Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chicago Trip 2012

The first time I went to Chicago during the Christmas season was when we had just found out we were pregnant with little Munchkin...

To be honest, I couldn't really understand how I'd find much "joy" out of going to the Windy City in the middle of almost freezing temperatures to walk long distances and shop in stores where we weren't going to buy much because, duh, we were having another baby...all the while I was still throwing up every morning..

I couldn't have been more wrong...

It started out as a one time trip, to something that we have tried to continue every other year or so...and I have thoroughly enjoyed it every time!

We went one year with my brother and his family...that time my sister in law got to enjoy the pleasures of walking Michigan Ave whilst waddling along at 7 months pregnant with TWINS:) 

The last time we went was a huge American Girl experience...

Which brings us to this year...Italian Stallion decided that it was a good year to go and got us all psyched up for our 2012 adventure!  We got the girls out of school because we don't let school get in the way of a quality education (wink, wink)...We started on the road around 7am on Sunday and Daddy wanted to push through until lunchtime...

It should have struck me odd that we stopped at mcDonalds, because we never go there...but, after 5 hours straight in the car, I wasn't complaining and neither were the girls...we piled out, ordered some chicken nuggets & fries and stretched our legs.  Little did I know that Italian Stallion was strategically placing us in this particular restaurant...for no sooner had we ordered and sat down to inhale some fast food, than WHO should walk through the door???

HELLO...my BFF and her family...YIPPEE...


I had somewhat of a "blonde" moment when I said, "Oh my goodness, honey, look, they are having lunch at the same McDonalds as us in the middle of Indiana!!!"...Italian Stallion kinda looked at me for a minute...giving me the look of" "okay, now, let that process a minute...keep comin'..."  And then I realized, "Oh wait a minute...THEY are going to Chicago too...wait...they are coming WITH US to Chicago...!!!"

Needless to say, Sara and I were jumping around hugging and squealing to the point that the whole restaurant wanted to know what was with the crazy commotion with a couple of almost 40 year old women and their gaggle of girls???  ((I do want to point out here that regardless of our age, my dear friend was TOTALLY HIT ON while we were out to dinner that very evening out on the town...but, I"ll get to that later))

Apparantly my dear I.S. and G had been in cahoots for about 3 months planning this trip...I'm still not sure how they kept it a secret from Sara or myself...because really, she and I had been talking and texting quite a bit in the weeks leading up to Chicago...

But, pull it off they did...and I couldn't have been more excited!!!

Italian Stallion got us rooms side by side at the Residence Inn downtown Chicago...we were provided fantastic breakfasts and delicious dinners...and swimming on the top floor,(the 27th to be exact) proved to be, once again, a highlight of our experience! I would highly recommend this hotel if you are ever in town:)

We did the usuals...shopping along Michigan Ave., pizza at Giordanos, chocolately treats at Ghiradelli's, American Girl & LEGO stores, looking at the christmas windows of Macy's down by the river...



But, the highlight for me this year, was getting to see the "bean" at Millenium Park and then ICE SKATING with all my girls...
 
 

We also added a trip to John Hancock Observatory...

The girls were exhausted by the time we made daddy walk all the way back to the hotel to get our car while we stayed inside the Hershey store eating brownies so that we didn't have to be in the cold headed out of the city.

It was a wonderful Christmas surprise...so thankful that Italian Stallion knows me so well...knows that I so enjoying spending time with close friends...that he values relationships and making memories!  He totally got some brownie CAKE points this weekend!!!

I'll post more pictures on a facebook album for the fam:)  So head on over there to "hear" more of the story:)