Monday, June 4, 2012

I'm such a goober

That's not even a word...unless you count those chocolate covered peanuts at the movie theater, but I'm not sure if that's what they are called or not...

the point is, I don't really have a word for myself as it relates to my undying passion for reading...or rather, "escaping" into a book. 

I've never been one to relish sitting down and reading a non-fiction book...don't get me wrong, I LOVE learning new things...but when I've finished with my day and I'm just wanting to forget the to-do list that is ahead of me in the morning...I just want to curl up with a book that transports me...that makes me laugh and cry...that makes me feel...

I'm not a person that is afraid to cry (or scream, or laugh, or snort, or just about any other bodily function as it relates to emotions!!...I've even been known to pee my pants out of pure hysteria...but, that's for another time)

I've mentioned MANY times before that I have to be "careful little eyes what you see" as it pertains to reading...this is because things stick with me...the words form into scenes that are so vivid and real that I have to be careful that what I'm reading isn't going to set me daydreaming on things that aren't...well, to put it bluntly...aren't Phil. 4:8 :) just plain and simple...

therefore, I have held pretty tightly to my staying within the "inspirational fiction" realm of the literary world...I sometimes dabble in some teen fiction (like Shannon Hale or the ever crazed Hunger Games) but more oft than not,  you can find me perusing the aisles for those little pink stickers on the book bindings that deem it "mamarazzi sound" enough for me to handle.

Recently, however, I have strayed just a bit...I think it has roots in the fact that I adore Jane Austen and all things Pride & Prejudice...and that linked with my Scottish heritage and my ever-romantic daydreams...well, it drew me to a book that I spoke about a month or so ago entitled Edenbrooke by Julie C. Donaldson.  It was very Austen-esque and was just delightful...so much so that I read it twice.

And so, my teacher mind then starts to turn...how do I find other books similar to this fashion and genre?  I started googling the author (who is right around my age) and found that she is a part of an online reader group where she rates books that she has read...

well goodness, what better way to find out if I'll like a book or not, if an author whom I happen to really like and who seemingly has the same mindset as yours truly...to look at HER book lists and what authors SHE enjoys...

All this to come to my point that I FOUND ANOTHER BOOK...

It's entitled The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

It's a romantic, historical account that takes place in none other than Scotland:)  But, it has an element of "time traveler-ish" as the main character has memories that have been passed down through ?DNA?...it was heartbreaking and then amazing and then I cried and then I sighed at the end...Italian Stallion just laughed at me:)

Now, there were a few relationships that weren't "developed" or described...and in a way, I'm grateful because their premise wasn't necessarily on the straight and narrow...but it didn't detract from the storyline and therefore I could keep with the story.

It was such an enjoyable read...normally, I totally cheat and skip to the end first to make sure that I'll like the ending...but, with this story, the characters because almost friends and heroines and I didn't want to rush ahead, I wanted to "live it" with them...is that crazy or what?

Anyhoo...thought I'd share, incase anyone is heading to the beach soon and needed a little poolside reading:)

Have a great week!