Saturday, April 25, 2015

things to never do #85746

It's been a long week.

It's not been all that emotionally taxing or anything...believe me, I know how to keep "most" things in perspective.

Okay, well maybe not really, but as my husband always tells me, "you bring the fun, honey...you just bring the fun!"

He's the one that keeps things running like a well-oiled machine whereas I like to mix things up a bit...and sometimes "bringing the fun" involves being overly dramatic about things like not having the proper foot attire for the ever changing Ohio weather OR throwing forty-teen baskets of laundry all over the bedroom floor and shoving the dog in there for good measure just so that the main part of your house has the "appearance" of being clean...

You better believe I "bring the fun"!!!

My eldest was in her 2nd play this week...and being the leveled headed, organized person that I am, I decided to schedule eye doctor appointments, 2 mentoring sessions and volunteering at both the elementary and middle schools, in the midst of preparing the house for my parents, sister & nephew for the weekend...See, I knew it would be a lot of "fun" to not only accomplish all that this week, but also to just skip out on dinner preparations...because what says dinner better than grilled cheese sandwiches and pretzels & nutella because Momma needs to take pictures at dress rehearsal each and every night???

It's all about the photos...all about the photos!

And thus, my house was in such disarray and I really didn't even have much time to mull over it...although I may have said a few choices words when I stepped in the dog food bowl on my way to the bathroom at 2 in the morning after Little Munchkin awoke coughing up her lung and informing me that she wasn't able to go to school in the morning...which would have been Saturday, so that really didn't make sense...so I did what any mother would do who is running on 1.5 hours of sleep...I climbed into her twin bed with her until the sound of her sinus filled snoring woke me from my 10 minute slumber and I stumbled back to my bed to finish off the last 3 hours of nighttime before TODAY began...

For the record,
Soccer games before 10am on a weekend are EVIL...there is no other way to say it...

Sure some love it because they "get it done and over with"...but I say, "let's sleep in and get it done later!"

And so we bundled up to sit and watch a bunch of 6 and 7 year olds cluster run around a soccer ball...while tweenage refs felt it necessary to view themselves as professionals and call everything under the sun...when really all the girls cared about was, "when are the snacks" and "let's see if we can SEE if we put our earmuffs over our eyes"...

We quickly came back home to fuel up on some of that "nutritional food" I had properly stored up in our pantry this week...(which actually meant that Italian Stallion ran to the store for the umpteenth time to pick up all manners of lunch meats and chips)

I, then, had the glorious opportunity to be the "backstage mom" for Sweetpea's play performance.  This meant that I got to sit behind stage and SHUSH all the 6th grade boys into submission.  This is quite the feat when these same boys are all taller than you and have the attention span of a flea.

I was in my element, though...I had a great time and was on my feet most of the hour and half long performance...mouthing words and shushing and shushing some more...

Sweetpea and I  then RACED to the soccer field...Peanut had a game that started right after the play began, so I missed her game completely...which means that she made a goal...because we all know that when Momma isn't there to get a picture, that's when the best things happen!

The school sent out emails that the play was to begin at 2:30pm...however, the program and director said 2pm..therefore, half the cast wasn't there on time and we had to split the difference and begin at 2;15...which really put us in a bind since Sweetpea's game was scheduled to begin at 3:45pm

 I dropped Sweetpea off and she ran for the field...by the time it was all over, Italian Stallion, Peanut, and Sweetpea looked as though they had swam fully clothed in the muddy Mississippi...Did I mention that it was raining?  as in, continuous outpouring from the sky with no end in sight type raining?

My parents & sister felt it a good time to head on their way home at that point, because they had been crammed in the car for more than an hour loyally watching their granddaughters slip and slide on the soccer field...AND, because nothing says "together time" like squashing together in a warm car with wet soccer players and a 9 month old with Christmas music blaring because that's the only thing that keeps him content when he's running on "it's past naptime" and cousin attention overload...

It is at this point (see how I finally got to my #85746 ?) that I did something that perhaps wasn't the wisest thing to do in my attempt to "bring the fun"...

We all packed into the car and headed back to our home where warm showers and electric blankets awaited us...

Thinking brilliantly, I decided that it would be an ideal time to work on my British accent for all to hear...because you never know when you might have a hankerin' for a tea and crumpet...But, since we weren't in the mood for such elegant delicacies, we were going to settle for the good ole stand by of chips and dip...and what kind of dip you might ask...why, the "Helluva Good Dip"...the greatest chip dip of all time...

Except when you don't live in Great Britain and your only claim to knowing about a british accent is through watching Harry Potter movies AND you are so cold and slaphappy from such a long day...your pronunciation of said dip might come out like so,
"Hellooooova Dick"

This will cause your husband to STOP.THE.CAR. due to insurmountable laughter...

It will also cause your eldest daughter to over enunciate the phonetic sound for the letter "P" in your presence for the rest of the evening...

Let us just be thankful that it is now bedtime and as my heroine, Anne (from Green Gables) always said..."tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet" (that is a whole nother story to write about at a later date)