Saturday, February 22, 2014

Let's Talk About It...

I use this terminology with my Italian Stallion...a lot...

If you didn't remember, (because goodness sakes it's been forever since I've blogged in a consistent manner) I tend to be a words person...

this means that the way to my heart is through words...and LOTS OF THEM...let me be clear here, not just ANY words...oh no...I like all those wonderful, drippy words of affirmation, adoration and love...I'm a validation monger...

I've kept every printed email, letter, card, post it note, you name it, that my hubby has ever left for me in unsuspecting places and/or in my PO box in college...and I won't lie, I keep them in a couple of boxes in my closet where I may or may not, occasionally lock myself in and reminisce over his words of love written to me over the years...
(if I happen to have a bag of chips and a bowl of chocolate chips in there with me, it's purely coincidental)

And when people say you marry your opposite, they aren't kidding...

I married my opposite...where I like to talk...let me rephrase (because I'm really good at coming up with more words than necessary to get my point across) I enjoy the sound of my own voice...sometimes I will have conversations with myself in the mirror just so I can "hear" another side to the same story.  (true vulnerability here...TRUE)

My husband on the other hand, is not a talker.  It's not that he isn't social...oh no...he can whoop it up with the best of them...but, he isn't' necessarily energized by speaking with large crowds of people listening in.  The thing is, when he does talk, people DO listen....as opposed to when I start talking and talking and talking and talking...people often have a tendency to tune me out...

are you still there?

Facebook is a classic example of this...he can go weeks without updating his status, but the minute he does, he is witty and classic and everyone...and I mean E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E. goes on over and gives him a little "like" or a comment...

Me on the other hand, I can write a plethora of updates, blog posts, shares and what have you...and I'll stalk my iphone for push notifications that someone has landed on my post...and perhaps I'll get a few...I mean really, how hard is it to just comment, "you are amazing!!!" because don't people realize that my day begins and ends with my notoriety on Facebook for heavens sake! (not really, but it sounds like a good rant...okay maybe a little)

I digress

...back to "let's talk about it"...It's my thing with I.S....I'll set it up for you...

Me: So, do you remember when you first saw me? (batting my eyes and looking all sappy)
Italian Stallion: Yes
Me: do you remember what you were thinking and what you thought about after you saw me?
I. S. : Umm, I don't know
Me: Okay, well LET'S TALK ABOUT IT...let's talk about all the things you like about me..

I'm not high maintenance AT ALL...AT ALL people...

We have recently deemed Fridays as our LUNCH DATE DAY!  We have discovered that a "night out" date takes wayyy too much time and effort and not to mention more money trying to figure where the kids are going to go and then I have to make a meal anyway even though he & I aren't going to eat it and blah blah blah...

And I welcome in the Season Of:  All The Kids Are In School now...it's a glorious time, let me tell you...

It's not that I don't enjoy my children...I even homeschooled for awhile and loved it!  However, if you've got to make lemonade out of lemons...man, we got a gooooood batch goin' on now!  So Friday mornings after I take my girls into school and stay volunteering for an hour or so, I hop in the car and pick up Italian Stallion at the office, and we head out for a lunch date...

This usually consists of me talking and him listening (go figure...) but, it's our way of connecting (okay, maybe it leans more heavily on my way of connecting...let's not get started on his way of connecting because that's a whole other blog post entitled, "Innuendos are the Spice of Life")

The point that I'm getting to here is that, as with any relationship, it takes time to invest into it...time to figure out what energizes the other person and being selfless enough to honor it...he does this for me...and I know it can't be easy for him because HIGH MAINTENANCE!

But, we're both committed...we've been through many "I'm sorrys" and "I'm wrong" and "I forgive you" (and I can guarantee that we have many more to come) and we have no idea what's on the path ahead...but we're committed to walking hand in hand along it...even though we might even incur some dragging or just sitting down and waiting...I am still in awe that I have this guy beside me that always fights for me, I am humbled by his own humility and his willingness to put me before himself...

And so when I, for the umpteenth time, squeeze his hand and say, "Let's talk about it"...he's right there...knowing exactly what I need...and it's just plain amazing!